Sunday, November 24, 2013

JOURNEY OF A LIFETIME TO JUMLA by Jo and Tom Millar, Yackandandah, Australia


“As we rounded the corner of the Kalika Primary School, we were greeted by two long lines of children. Each child had made a necklace of marigolds. As we walked between the lines, the children chanted, clapped and presented us with the necklaces. I looked into the eyes of each child, touched their hands and thanked them. By the time I got to the end of the line, I was overcome with emotion and tears flowed down my red painted tikka cheeks.

The children of Kalika school are from a poor, low caste community living on infertile land. For centuries, their ancestors have worked as labourers for higher caste families. Education has only come very recently to Kalika. The government school has only one government teacher and few resources. So when we met Kar, the community teacher we are supporting with funds from my University in Australia, I felt grateful that we were contributing in some small way to AWON’s efforts.
Despite working in Laos and Indonesia for the last ten years, I was not prepared for the obvious signs of poverty amongst the children of Kalika. Their worn and torn uniforms hung off their skinny bodies like rags. The school committee informed us that the children have no lunch so they go all day without food to give them energy or concentration. There were no books, no desks, no chairs, no equipment and only a flat soccer ball that was kicked around the play area.
As we walked back to town with Keshab, the enormity of the challenges facing AWON dawned on me. I marvelled at the courage and determination of Radha, Laxman, Keshab, Bharat and all the staff back in Kathmandu, to improve the lives of disadvantaged villages in western Nepal. I looked up the valley to see Mt Patrashi shining in the late afternoon glow and promised myself to do even more to help AWON achieve its goals.

Indeed, we were back from Rara Lake trek. We are connected with Radha and Karnali by Mr. Popular Gentle, Vice President of Action Works Nepal, is doing his PhD in the same university where I teach.

( Jo is is an International Advisor for Action Works Nepal and Coordinator for AWON's support group in Australia. She herself  teaches yoga every week end and raise fund for AWON ).



No comments:

Post a Comment